Sri Lankan Pickled Eggplant
Prep Time: 15 mins Level of Difficulty: Average[boxify cols_use =”1″ cols =”2″ position =”left” order =”first” box_spacing =”5″ padding =”20″ height =”500px” background_color =”#ddd” border_style =”solid” ]Ingredients:
80g eggplant cut into strips
1 small red onion, sliced
3 green chillis sliced from middle
3 garlic cloves, sliced
8 curry leaves
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar
Oil to fry
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium flame.
- Deep fry the eggplant strips till it turns slightly dark brown in colour.
- Remove the fried eggplant strips and drain it on a kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- In a separate pan heat some oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, sliced onions, green chillis and sliced garlic.
- Sauté till golden in colour and add the fried eggplant to it.
- Add the vinegar and sugar.
- Cook on slow flame and season with salt.
By Malimage Mishane Shenal Perera
Nationality: Sri Lankan
Maligame is a sous chef at Grand Hyatt who specialises in making all kinds of salads. He previously worked in Hilton Colombo and has a degree in Kitchen Management from Hilton Worldwide. He has won gold and silver medals in several cooking contests back home and a silver medal at a competition held in Qatar recently.