Ramadan Activities and Offers: Take Your Pick
The Holy month of Ramadan brings with it a lot of activities for people of all age groups. Community projects, charity initiatives and sports among others are some of the highlights of the month. Here is a round up of what’s happening around town.
Hyatt Plaza and Sheikh Thani Bin Abdullah Al Thani’s Foundation for Humanitarian Services (RAF) are collaborating to organise a ‘Fast-a-thon’ for non-Muslims in order to raise money for Syrian refugees most affected by the conflict within the country.
- The organisers will donate QR200 for every non-Muslim who fasts for a day. The event begins with an orientation at 4pm on Friday, July 12 until Saturday, July 13 with an Iftar at 6pm. To register, email email@example.com or fill in the registration form available at the Hyatt Plaza customer service desk. For more details, call 4499 9666.
Aspire Zone Festival (AZF)will hold its 3rd annual Ramadan festival, Hayakkum B Aspire.
- The festival will include two weeks of sports including beach soccer, basketball, football, flag football, table tennis for the disabled, handball, volleyball and remote control car races. Various cultural, religious and charitable activities will also be held, enjoyable to all age groups.
- Another highlight of the festival is ‘Walk-in-the-Dome’, a ‘step into health’ program, is designed to inspire people to engage in moderate daily exercise. Participants will be encouraged to walk at least 10,000 steps a day. This event will be held from 3.30pm to 5.30pm and 8pm to 11pm.
- The Aspire Ramadan Tent offers live entertainment in the form of a clown, juggler, a music performance by Hala Turk, Beatbox, a pantomime show by Alex de Paris, a stand-up comedy show, a special performance by Nader Abdulsalam, an Al Ardha dance performance and Fereej Mascot. Contact Aspire through firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Katara Cultural Village
- Enjoy the month-long festival at Katara from July 11 until Eid Al Fitr, which will feature activities that highlight Arabic calligraphy as a significant part of Arabic culture and Islamic civilization. The festival will also include ten public lectures by some of the best Islamic lecturers starting with a lecture by Sheikh Anes Sa’eed Msfir on July 9.
- Lecture by Sheikh Mohammed Al Uraifi: Katara has also collaborated with RAF Foundation to present a lecture by Sheikh Mohammed Al Uraifi at the Grand Mosque in Katara on July 20. Numerous exhibitions centered on Arabic calligraphy will be held throughout the festival including a painting exhibition of Qatari artists, an expo of calligraphy paintings from different Muslim countries, History of Holy Quran expo featuring the collection of Ibrahim Fakhroo, and ‘Majaz’ expo by British-Iraqi calligrapher Sabah Al Arbili, where he will paint live.
- Fashion Show featuring Arabic calligraphy: A fashion show displaying how calligraphy has inspired Qatari designers to create clothes will also be featured in the festival. Works of Mahir As-Samara’I, a ceramic artist who uses the Arabic letter as a material in his works, will be shown, while artist Shaheeda Ahmad will present her handicraft for the first time in Qatar through Wahdania Expo, inspired by Allah’s 99 names and the seven heavens.
- Iman Expo: Artists who choose to express religious views will be showcased in this expo. Tunisian graffiti artist Vincent Abadie Hafez will present an expo including 99 paintings with the 99 names of Allah and paint with graffiti on a 5-metre wall while visitors can also write on a special wall.
- The Museum of Qatar Post and Katara have collaborated on an Islamic Stamps Expo featuring designs of Islamic stamps around the world.
- Other events include an illuminated letters theatre, sand painting featuring artist Shaimaa’ Al Muhairi, expo on the history of press in Qatar, numismatics expo, ‘one million dots’ artwork, documentary films screenings and competitions, a book fair, children’s workshops, beach football and Garangao.
For more information, call 4408 0000 or email email@example.com.
The Gate Mall
- Participate in a raffle draw at The Gate for a chance to win 1 of 4 trips around the world. Their Ramadan tent will include Ramadan Seating (Gazebo) & decoration, Arabic musical band, a kids’ area (for drawing and face painting), complimentary tea, coffee and dates, and TV screens.
Ooredoo is offering five times more local minutes and SMS for its Hala Weekly and Shahry Pack customers during the Holy Month of Ramadan.
- Customers using the QR40 Hala Weekly Pack will get an additional 800 minutes and SMS messages, adding upto for a total of 1,000 minutes and SMS messages each week.
- Customers using the QR10 weekly pack will enjoy 175 local minutes and SMS.
- Subscribers using the Shahry 750 Pack will have a monthly allowance of 32,500 local call minutes and SMS messages, and will continue to enjoy free unlimited calls to local landlines.
- Customers using the Shahry 55 Packs will jump from 200 call minutes and SMS messages to 1000. Also, Ooredoo’s Alrabaa (‘Friends’, in Arabic) campaign will feature a variety of events involving community and charity initiatives.
Until the end of August, Vodafone customers can enjoy ‘Super Sundays’ when they can call anyone in the world anywhere can be called each Sunday for only 55 dirhams per minute.
- The GCC promotion in which Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, UAE and Bahrain can be called for only 69 Dirhams a minute. Vodafone will tie-up with Qatar Charity in their Ramadan activities, by sponsoring Iftar tents in Doha and Al Khor. The telecom company will also distribute free Iftar boxes containing dates and water to motorists and passers-by, to help them break their fast. For more information, call toll-free number 800 7111 or visit the Vodafone website.
Special Ramadan spa packages
- Sharq Village offers a Ramadan Spa Package, which includes Moroccan Hammam, Traditional Hammam, Gentle Detox Hammam and Deep Cleansing Hammam that are priced between QR680 and QR820. These packages are available between July 9 and August 7. To reserve a spot, call 4425 6666.
- Eforea: Spa at Hilton Doha offers a 90-minute massage and a 30-minute express facial of 30 minutes, for only QR650. Also, a combination of techniques will be featured inspired by traditional Australian aboriginal methods, followed by a glowing express facial, again for QR 650. For bookings and further information, call 4423 3441.
- Angsana Spa Wyndham Grand Regency Hotel offers two treatments for the price of one featuring a choice of body massages, body polishes, body treats, and facials priced between QR475 and QR1150. For more information, call 4434 3152/3153.