Barzan Olympic Park: One of Qatar’s best
Even though it’s a bit of a trek, Barzan Olympic Park is quickly becoming one of Qatar’s most popular parks. Truth be told, it is rather superb.[boxify cols_use =”1″ cols =”2″ position =”right” order =”none” box_spacing =”10″ padding =”10″ background_color =”#3c3c3c” border_style =”solid” ]
Type: Sports Park
Hours: 6am-10pm; Thurs-Fri til midnight
✓Outdoor Fitness Equipment
✓Bike Track & Rental
✓Sandpit with Toys
✓Leaping Water Fountain
✓Stroller; wheelchair friendly
✗High Rates for Rentals
✗Overly Attentive Playground Staff[/boxify]
Barzan opened in 2012 as the first Olympic park in Qatar. (Another popular Olympic Park is located in Simaisma, on the outskirts of town near the Youth Centre).
Barzan is one of the few parks that has something for everyone from toddlers to adults. Basketball court, tennis courts, football courts, running track, bike track, chess, table tennis, leaping fountain, food venues, coffee shop, green areas, tent-shaded seating areas, playground and, most recently, a car race track. Along the walking path you’ll find small replicas of local architectural landmarks such as the Sheraton, Emiri Diwan, etc.
And that’s just the outdoor component. Inside facilities are also available. Barzan has a swimming pool, sauna, steam room and fitness equipment in the gym—or so the official website reports. The means of gaining access is not clear. Let us know if you figure it out. A small mosque for women and men is also on the grounds.
Be sure to take extra clothes for children so they can run through the leaping fountain.
Buy a cup of karak (1QR) and crepe (5QR) from the outdoor cafeteria in the centre of the park.
Please Note: You may not bring your own bikes into the park. Some facilities are only open during peak times in the evening and on weekends.
Entry to park: Summer Season (April 1-Oct 31) QR5; Winter Season (Nov 1-March 30): QR10
Trike Rides: QR5
Bike rental: QR5 per lap (Visitors may not bring your own bikes or scooters into the park. Open 2-10 pm)
Table Tennis: Bring your own paddles & ball or rent for QR30
Tip: Combine with a trip to the Famers’ Market just down the road.[boxify cols_use =”1″ cols =”1″ position =”none” order =”none” box_spacing =”10″ padding =”10″ background_color =”#3c3c3c” border_style =”solid” ]
Um Slal Municipality
GPS: 25°27’25”N 51°24’20”E
Please Note: Located outside of Doha.
- Drive North on Al Shamal Road
- Take Al Mazrooh Exit 16 (approximately 16.5 km past Landmark Mall. There are two exits here. It is the 2nd exit under the overpass.)
- Take first left driving west towards the town of Um Slal Ali.
- At round about turn sharp right in an almost U-turn
- From here you can follow the signs to Barzan Olympic Park.
- The road goes past the Police Station and the golden, onion-domed Youth Centre. The park is behind the Youth Centre.
- Turn left.
- Drive past the Youth Centre parking.
- Go about 150 metres until on your left you see a second parking lot with a chain link fence and the park.[/boxify]