QGBC to run second edition of No Paper Day campaign on April 3; paper consumption reduced by 73% in 2013
The Qatar Green Building Council (QGBC) has announced its second year of the No Paper Day campaign to be held on April 3, 2014. This annual campaign aims to heighten awareness about environmental sustainability among organisations by reducing paper consumption.
To participate, you need to follow the following steps:
- Register your organisation’s name by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Record the amount of paper you use in a day. On April 3, record the amount of paper you saved.
- Display the campaign logo on your website or make it your Facebook profile picture.
- Share your photos, tips and experiences on our page, or via Twitter using #NPDQatar
Last year’s campaign received the participation of around 20 national and multinational companies, institutions, and schools based in Qatar, a representative from QGBC told JustHere. “The participating companies came from a wide array of industries in Qatar, including the hospitality, petroleum, real estate, education, facilities management, sustainability and recreation services industries. On average, the participating companies were able to reduce their daily paper consumption by 73%, saving a considerable amount of paper on this day.” Figures for this year’s participation is still being finalised.
Some of the strategies used by participating companies to reduce their daily paper consumption included:
- No or limited printing
- Double-sided printing
- Reusing papers
- Suspending in-house distribution of newspapers, making electronic copies available
- Using emails to share invoices with customers rather than printing them
- Using electronic promotional materials and not printouts
- Not using disposable napkins, plates, cups and bottles
- Conducting up cycling competitions
- Conducting awareness training and online advertisements
- Planting trees to show support for a sustainable and green environment
For more information, follow the No Paper Day Qatar Facebook Page.