Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

JustHere | November 15, 2017

Scroll to top

Back to Top

No Comments

HMC cautions visitors against using decorations for patients’ rooms

HMC cautions visitors against using decorations for patients’ rooms

Women’s health and patient safety experts at Hamad Medical Corporation’s (HMC) Women’s Hospital (WH) cautioned patients, their families and other visitors against using certain decorations for patient rooms and other unsafe practices in an effort to ensure that WH does not compromise patient care and provides a clean and safe environment.

As part of standard infection control precautions, WH does not allow decorating patient rooms with carpets, posters, curtains, stands, vases, aquariums, candles, balloons or any kind of furniture and interior design elements that may support the growth of disease-causing microbes. Carpets, curtains and other furniture have been documented to harbor large numbers of microbes. Bringing in any electrical equipment is also prohibited as it may interfere with the hospital’s electrical system and other life support equipment, and could cause electrical malfunctions.

“Patients can easily acquire infections through physical contact, as well as through harmful chemicals, bacteria and viruses that may spread in the air. There is also a risk of transmitting infections if patients are visited by sick people or by very young children,” said Dr. Zeena Saeed Al Mansoori, Clinical Director of Operational Affairs at WH.

Dr. Al Mansoori also stressed the importance of hand hygiene in preventing the spread of infections within the hospital, pointing out that in order to facilitate hand-washing, HMC has provided dedicated sinks or hand sanitizers at patient room entrances and other prominent locations throughout all its facilities.

Small flower bouquets and small chocolate boxes are allowed in the patient rooms. However, placing any gifts, flowers and decorations in the hospital corridors outside the patient rooms is not allowed. Besides this practice being unhygienic, it is a fire hazard and can also block passages and restricts access to patients by members of the healthcare team.

Submit a Comment