From Doha to Paris, QELA plots its path
Having launched its flagship store at The Pearl-Qatar last week, QELA is soon to open its next boutique in Paris. The media were given a tour of the workshops of Qatar’s first luxury brand.
Here are some quick facts about the brand
- There are four ateliers for leather goods, jewellery, shoes and couture – each led by experienced and highly skilled designers from France.
- It took three years for QLG to officially launch QELA as Qatar’s first luxury brand. Qatar Foundation is its shareholder.
- Though all items are designed and crafted in the four ateliers of the brand’s headquarters, the production of leather goods takes place at Le Tennuer – one of France’s oldest leather goods makers which was acquired by QLG two years back, while the shoes are produced in Italy.
- The raw materials are sourced from Europe due to lack of materials available here. QELA attempted working with camel skin, but it didn’t make the cut.
- It seeks inspiration from the elements of the desert – from the beige tones of the dunes to the Qatari desert rose, subtly interpreted in the brand’s inaugural collection.