Today’s Buzz – 16 June, 2014
- JustHere Qatar
- On June 16, 2014
Citizens call for fresh licences to set up new car wash stations
A number of citizens and residents have urged the authorities concerned to grant fresh licences to establishments or individuals to set up new car wash facilities and end the “monopoly” witnessed in this business, local Arabic daily Arrayah has reported.
They said the existing car wash units attached to petrol stations were no longer sufficient to serve the growing number of vehicles in Qatar, the report states.
[Source: Gulf Times]
More Filipino maids to arrive in Qatar soon: embassy official
More Filipino housemaids will be deployed to Qatar in the coming months as the number of contracts being processed by the Philippine Overseas Labour Office in Doha (POLO) has increased five times over the past few weeks, labour attache Leopoldo De Jesus has said.
From an average of 15 contracts per day, POLO now receives at least 70 to 75 contracts of housemaids for verification and processing. These workers have been recruited by Qatari families who are willing to pay the minimum $400 monthly salary set by the Philippine government for domestic workers.
[Source: Gulf Times]
Qatar seeks to unify prices of daily items
Qatar has suggested that the prices of several consumer items of daily use be made uniform across the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries.
If accepted, the proposal could mean a reduction in the rates of many of these items since they are costlier in Qatar.
The list is to be soon posted on a GCC website that is being launched with the aim of raising consumer awareness in the region.
[Source: The Peninsula]
Plan to set up centre for personalised medicine
Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC), in partnership with the US-based Duke University, has announced the development of a Hamad-Duke Centre for Personalised and Precision Medicine.
The centre, part of Qatar’s Academic Health System (AHS), will provide evidence-based care grounded in world-class research.
As a precursor to the joint initiative, HMC and Duke University, with whom HMC has a research-focused relationship, hosted the first Personalised and Precision Medicine Symposium, attended by senior officials from HMC, local AHS partners, AHS International Advisory Board, and other stakeholders.
[Source: The Peninsula]
Tickets on sale for Disney on Ice show
DISNEY ON ICE’S ‘Rockin’ Ever After’ will bring an all-star line-up of iconic Disney characters to the ice in a sensational live production in Doha.
Produced by Feld Entertainment, presented by the Qatar Tourism Authority and its Events Diary, OnQatar and brought to Qatar by Sport & Entertainment Solutions, this brand new spectacular event featuring scenes from Disney Pixar’s Brave, Tangled, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, will visit the city from September 24 to 27, 2014, for eight performances at the Qatar National Convention Centre.
Tickets go on sale on Monday (June 16).
[Source: Qatar Tribune]
- Kafala will be abolished… ultimately; But Qatar’s big announcement on labour laws is still pending cabinet approval
- Qatar Cost of Living: The JustHere Survival Matrix
- [UPDATED PHOTOS] Happy National Day Qatar!
- Damien Hirst is coming to town, and here are 10 things you should know about him
- First 7000 newborn babies in Qatar during Ramadan will receive baby car seats
- Cleansing of Doha: The Old Downtown Disappears
- Weekend Radar (July 4-6)
- ‘Whoa’ moment as Qatar’s overall population grows by 11.26%; 13.34% rise in that of females
- Weekend Radar (June 20 – 22)
- Souq Haraj awaits its inevitable fate in light of 2022
- Weekend Radar (June 6-8)
- Tickets for the June 13 Disney On Ice show up for grabs
- State mandates employers to medically insure employees under new law
- Runaways and Absconders; Slavery and Kafala: A dig into history
- Weekend Radar (May 30 – June 1)
- Atop the Everest: A mental feat more than a physical one
- Where do We Learn Arabic?
- All in a Day’s Work
- Weekend Radar (May 23-25)
- Not enough PHCs in Qatar to meet growing population
- Tipping point… who deserves gratuity?
- Blood donation in Qatar continues to be a challenge
- The coronavirus scare in GCC: What you need to know
- Ooredoo and Messi launch initiative for children’s health
- Been in Qatar long enough to remember these?
- Let’s Meet: Jeet Bahadur Mogar
- Onaiza Park: A splash of colours
- Ta2heel: By the youth for the youth… a uniquely Qatar initiative
- What you need to know about Emir Cup 2013
- Weekend Radar (May 16-18)
- QAWS receives a one month reprieve
- Hike or no hike in school fees?
- No lessons learned after Villaggio. The smoke continues well after the fire.
- Al Dhakhira gets first model commercial complex
- What every pedestrian in Qatar must know.
- Fatima Al-Nesf: Living her life in cartoons
- Inaccessible Qatar… where do we begin?
- Ready for some punchlines?
- A year more for neighbourhood stores
- UAE, Oman, Qatar and Saudi lead the race for regional tourism revenue growth
- Weekend Radar (May 9 – 11)
- Al Salihiya Juice Stall: Honk, and ye shall be served!
- How free is the free visa?
- Disney on Ice tickets now on sale
- In Qatar, traffic is a bigger killer than cancer
- 6˚ of Separation: The child in us
- Why QAWS’s success will be the community’s as well
- Payment woes for freelancers in Qatar
- DCMF event receives thumbs down
- Weekend Radar (May 02-04)
- DFI and Tribeca’s partnership comes to a close
- Second phase of Kulluna campaign promotes cardiac health
- Student filmmakers left in the lurch at Al Jazeera Docu Fest
- Traffic surveillance cameras to keep check on violators
- An Artistic Hypocrisy?
- More female nationals in the workforce than in other GCC states
- There’s smoke, there’s fire, and no one knows how
- Weekend Radar (April 25-27)
- QF attempts to change workers’ plight in Qatar
- Where to find a good book in Qatar
- The Greatest Gift
- It’s Earth Day today. Are you doing your bit?
- QMA launches free Mathaf Shuttle Bus service. Hop on.
- Where you from?
- Winners announced for the DCMF cartoon competition
- The mad gold rush
- The Park that’s more than just that
- Shisha Vs Cigarette: Which kills more?
- Qatar 2022 in the firing line again
- The Katara Dilemma: What do we do about misbehaviour?
- How to stay safe during an earthquake
- Weekend Radar (April 18-20)
- Qatar rocks, literally, as earthquake hits Iran-Pakistan border
- Qatar’s not a cheap place to live in
- Qatar should ensure a reliable legal framework for contractors: Merkel
- How much do your schooling expenses come to?
- Ezdan Mall partially opens in Doha
- More sports tournaments for migrant workers
- Qatar’s fuming: Cigs, shisha & the havoc that it wrecks
- Yet another case of intellectual property rights violation in Qatar
- 10 Quick Escapes for the Parent
- Qatarisation is imperative, but nationals shy away
- Enjoy the best deals in Qatar
- DFI to hold 48 hour documentary challenge
- Let’s Meet: Moidunny Karupp Theruvath
- Weekend Radar (April 11-13)
- 10 ways to make learning fun
- The divisiveness of your toxicity
- Parking, parking everywhere, who wants to use it?
- A Qatar Obsession: Adventurous & Deadly… Here’s to a safer ATV ride
- Qatar Biobank reaches 200th participant
- You won’t get lost finding this one!
- Sailing through luxury
- Count the paper you use
- Weekend Radar (April 4-6)
- Magical mystery tour of Qatar
- Jobs, and more jobs
- Rachel Gadsden: A vision beyond sight
- Don’t be shocked
- Indecent behaviour outside EC. Stay alert!
- Here’s a reader’s verdict on Qatari newspapers
- Weekend Radar (March 28-30)
- Why does journalism in Qatar look more like PR?
- Tuitions step in where schools fail
- Uniquely Qatar… See Queue, Will Jump
- 60 minutes of darkness
- Who’s up for the Workers Cup?
- Let our Children Be
- Qatar is the region’s second best travel and tourism hub, after UAE
- 10 Best Souvenirs From Qatar
- Are we saying goodbye to our local grocery stores?
- Exhibition Review: Hey’ya – Arab Women in Sport
- Hunger Games in Doha
- Privilege Vs Creativity
- Working from home… and home is a Doha café with free wi-fi
- School admissions in Qatar: Tough Lessons To Learn
- Exotic. Illegal. Blatant.
- What She Wears: The Dress Code Debate
- Aesthetics Trumps Conservation?
- Dubai Parks and Resorts to open region’s largest entertainment destination, including first-ever Bollywood theme park, this October