Today’s Buzz – 11 June, 2014
- JustHere Qatar
- On June 11, 2014
‘Green’ construction norms goal of new QGBC initiative
The Qatar Green Building Council (QGBC) and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to foster a standardised building management services culture within Qatar’s construction industry.
Under this agreement, QGBC – a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development – will gain access to CIBSE’s global network of building service engineers.
[Source: Gulf Times]
Call for strategy to prevent spread of diseases in public hospitals’ reception areas
Public hospitals should devise a strategy to mitigate the undesired consequences of overcrowding in its patient reception areas to avoid any potential spread of contagious or seasonal diseases, members of the Central Municipal Council (CMC) urged yesterday.
“The design of public hospitals should be modified to allow a separation between the reception area for patients and the waiting areas of patients, who sometimes crowd the place for many hours, increasing the chances of spreading diseases among themselves as well as new clients of the hospital,” said Hamad Lahdan al-Muhannadi, CMC member.
[Source: Gulf Times]
Fourth report on human development in October
Preparations are being made to release Qatar’s fourth National Human Development Report in October, with a focus on Right to Development, the Minister of Development Planning and Statistics H E Dr Saleh Mohamed Salim Al Nabit said yesterday.
Eleven local and international experts will contribute to the report, he told a press conference on the sidelines of a seminar on the right to development.
[Source: The Peninsula]
Disney on Ice returns with new adventures
More than 40,000 people are expected to watch ‘Disney On Ice presents Rockin’ Ever After’ when the latest ice spectacular is held at Qatar National Convention Centre (QNCC) on September 24-27.
The exhilarating new production features adventurous moments from Disney•Pixar’s Brave and Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Tangled and Beauty and the Beast.
After last year’s sold-out success of Disney On Ice presents 100 Years of Magic, Disney on Ice returns to Doha with this energetic new show, which uses the popular talent show trend as a vehicle to weave four stories together.
[Source: The Peninsula]
Expert praises Workers’ Welfare Standards at new Al Wakrah Stadium
THE first contractor to work with the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy on the proposed host venue at Al Wakrah Stadium has been a ˜success story’ so far from workers’ welfare perspective, according to a leading expert who has been following developments in the country for seven years.
Silvia Pessoa is an associate teaching professor of English and Sociolinguistics at Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar. He has tracked labour issues here since 2007 and is the co-author of the quantitative study on workers entitled, ˜A portrait of low-income migrants in contemporary Qatar’.
[Source: Qatar Tribune]
- Kafala will be abolished… ultimately; But Qatar’s big announcement on labour laws is still pending cabinet approval
- Qatar Cost of Living: The JustHere Survival Matrix
- [UPDATED PHOTOS] Happy National Day Qatar!
- Damien Hirst is coming to town, and here are 10 things you should know about him
- First 7000 newborn babies in Qatar during Ramadan will receive baby car seats
- Cleansing of Doha: The Old Downtown Disappears
- Weekend Radar (July 4-6)
- ‘Whoa’ moment as Qatar’s overall population grows by 11.26%; 13.34% rise in that of females
- Weekend Radar (June 20 – 22)
- Souq Haraj awaits its inevitable fate in light of 2022
- Weekend Radar (June 6-8)
- Tickets for the June 13 Disney On Ice show up for grabs
- State mandates employers to medically insure employees under new law
- Runaways and Absconders; Slavery and Kafala: A dig into history
- Weekend Radar (May 30 – June 1)
- Atop the Everest: A mental feat more than a physical one
- Where do We Learn Arabic?
- All in a Day’s Work
- Weekend Radar (May 23-25)
- Not enough PHCs in Qatar to meet growing population
- Tipping point… who deserves gratuity?
- Blood donation in Qatar continues to be a challenge
- The coronavirus scare in GCC: What you need to know
- Ooredoo and Messi launch initiative for children’s health
- Been in Qatar long enough to remember these?
- Let’s Meet: Jeet Bahadur Mogar
- Onaiza Park: A splash of colours
- Ta2heel: By the youth for the youth… a uniquely Qatar initiative
- What you need to know about Emir Cup 2013
- Weekend Radar (May 16-18)
- QAWS receives a one month reprieve
- Hike or no hike in school fees?
- No lessons learned after Villaggio. The smoke continues well after the fire.
- Al Dhakhira gets first model commercial complex
- What every pedestrian in Qatar must know.
- Fatima Al-Nesf: Living her life in cartoons
- Inaccessible Qatar… where do we begin?
- Ready for some punchlines?
- A year more for neighbourhood stores
- UAE, Oman, Qatar and Saudi lead the race for regional tourism revenue growth
- Weekend Radar (May 9 – 11)
- Al Salihiya Juice Stall: Honk, and ye shall be served!
- How free is the free visa?
- Disney on Ice tickets now on sale
- In Qatar, traffic is a bigger killer than cancer
- 6˚ of Separation: The child in us
- Why QAWS’s success will be the community’s as well
- Payment woes for freelancers in Qatar
- DCMF event receives thumbs down
- Weekend Radar (May 02-04)
- DFI and Tribeca’s partnership comes to a close
- Second phase of Kulluna campaign promotes cardiac health
- Student filmmakers left in the lurch at Al Jazeera Docu Fest
- Traffic surveillance cameras to keep check on violators
- An Artistic Hypocrisy?
- More female nationals in the workforce than in other GCC states
- There’s smoke, there’s fire, and no one knows how
- Weekend Radar (April 25-27)
- QF attempts to change workers’ plight in Qatar
- Where to find a good book in Qatar
- The Greatest Gift
- It’s Earth Day today. Are you doing your bit?
- QMA launches free Mathaf Shuttle Bus service. Hop on.
- Where you from?
- Winners announced for the DCMF cartoon competition
- The mad gold rush
- The Park that’s more than just that
- Shisha Vs Cigarette: Which kills more?
- Qatar 2022 in the firing line again
- The Katara Dilemma: What do we do about misbehaviour?
- How to stay safe during an earthquake
- Weekend Radar (April 18-20)
- Qatar rocks, literally, as earthquake hits Iran-Pakistan border
- Qatar’s not a cheap place to live in
- Qatar should ensure a reliable legal framework for contractors: Merkel
- How much do your schooling expenses come to?
- Ezdan Mall partially opens in Doha
- More sports tournaments for migrant workers
- Qatar’s fuming: Cigs, shisha & the havoc that it wrecks
- Yet another case of intellectual property rights violation in Qatar
- 10 Quick Escapes for the Parent
- Qatarisation is imperative, but nationals shy away
- Enjoy the best deals in Qatar
- DFI to hold 48 hour documentary challenge
- Let’s Meet: Moidunny Karupp Theruvath
- Weekend Radar (April 11-13)
- 10 ways to make learning fun
- The divisiveness of your toxicity
- Parking, parking everywhere, who wants to use it?
- A Qatar Obsession: Adventurous & Deadly… Here’s to a safer ATV ride
- Qatar Biobank reaches 200th participant
- You won’t get lost finding this one!
- Sailing through luxury
- Count the paper you use
- Weekend Radar (April 4-6)
- Magical mystery tour of Qatar
- Jobs, and more jobs
- Rachel Gadsden: A vision beyond sight
- Don’t be shocked
- Indecent behaviour outside EC. Stay alert!
- Here’s a reader’s verdict on Qatari newspapers
- Weekend Radar (March 28-30)
- Why does journalism in Qatar look more like PR?
- Tuitions step in where schools fail
- Uniquely Qatar… See Queue, Will Jump
- 60 minutes of darkness
- Who’s up for the Workers Cup?
- Let our Children Be
- Qatar is the region’s second best travel and tourism hub, after UAE
- 10 Best Souvenirs From Qatar
- Are we saying goodbye to our local grocery stores?
- Exhibition Review: Hey’ya – Arab Women in Sport
- Hunger Games in Doha
- Privilege Vs Creativity
- Working from home… and home is a Doha café with free wi-fi
- School admissions in Qatar: Tough Lessons To Learn
- Exotic. Illegal. Blatant.
- What She Wears: The Dress Code Debate
- Aesthetics Trumps Conservation?
- Dubai Parks and Resorts to open region’s largest entertainment destination, including first-ever Bollywood theme park, this October