Qatar’s fuming: Cigs, shisha & the havoc that it wrecks
- Cassey Oliveira
- On April 14, 2013
Just a third of those who seek help to quit smoking, actually manage to. And if you think your shisha habit is more socially acceptable, think again!
The estimated number of patients visiting the smoking cessation clinic at Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) is around 850-1000 annually. But only 38% are successful in quitting smoking.
According to Qatar Statistics Authority, 36% of the population are smokers. Among Qataris, 30% of males and 1.2% of females use tobacco products.
There is no new data available on the age group distribution, but based on figures by HMC in 2000, majority of smokers belonged to the 21-30 age group.
According to Dr. Ahmad Mohd. Al Mulla, Senior Consultant, Public Health & Disease Control Head, Smoking Cessation Clinic oh HMC, the most common reason why his patients start smoking is due to peer pressure while most youngsters say they pick this habit if a parent at home is a smoker.
Tobacco and its effects
Cigarettes are not the only tobacco product available in the market. Other commonly used tobacco products are shisha, pipe, cigar and smokeless tobacco.
In fact, a single shisha session is more harmful than smoking a single cigarette, says Dr Al-Mulla.
Here’s a comparison of the toxin content between the two.
|Chemical||Shisha||Cigarette||ComparisonShisha to cigarette|
|Tar||802mg||22.3mg||36 times the tar|
|Nicotine||2.96mg||1.74 mg||1.7 times the nicotine|
|Carbon monoxide (CO)||145mg||17.3mg||8.4 times the CO|
Source: Shishadeh & Saleh (2005) food and Chemical Toxicology Vol 43 (5): 655-661 Djordjevic et al (2000) Journal of National Cancer Institute Vol 92:106-111
Other than the fact that tobacco products are the leading cause of lung cancer, here are some lesser-known facts about tobacco consumption:
- Tobacco companies always use good-looking models to make smoking look cool.
- A pack a day habit will cost you about $1500 (QR5461) a year.
- Nicotine is a drug that is as addictive as cocaine and heroin. Nicotine in cigarettes make your heart beat faster and your blood pressure rise.
- Dangerous ingredients that make up a cigarette include carbon monoxide (present in car exhausts), ammonia (found in toilet cleaning products) and arsenic (found in rat poison).
How to say ‘NO’
One of the main challenges of quitting smoking is dealing with withdrawal symptoms. “A smoker who plans to quit has to be aware that the early symptoms after quitting are normal and healthy, indicating that the body is passing through a cleaning and curable stage from nicotine and all smoke poisons. These symptoms start appearing 24 hours after quitting. Loss of concentration and coughing are common symptoms,” says Dr Al-Mulla.
Here are some simple ways to deal with withdrawal symptoms.
- Develop new habits. Drink a glass of juice after a meal instead of lighting up or go for a walk rather than taking a cigarette break.
- Avoid coffee. Coffee actually acts like a trigger for smoking.
- Keep busy the first few days after you quit. Engage in sports activities.
- Try switching to a brand you do not like before quitting smoking.
- Try smoking only a part of half a cigarette.
- Delay the time you start smoking by half an hour each day.
- Make it difficult to smoke. Hide your cigarettes, lighter and ashtray.
- Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Keep it in sight at all times.
- Quit with a friend. The support will help you get through the worst of it.
- Switch to alternatives such as nicotine patches, nicotine gum and lozenges or medication such as Champix and Zyban that can be found in all pharmacies and the smoking cessation clinic of HMC.
Are you a smoker? Do you plan on quitting? Share your thoughts with us.
- Kafala will be abolished… ultimately; But Qatar’s big announcement on labour laws is still pending cabinet approval
- Qatar Cost of Living: The JustHere Survival Matrix
- [UPDATED PHOTOS] Happy National Day Qatar!
- Damien Hirst is coming to town, and here are 10 things you should know about him
- First 7000 newborn babies in Qatar during Ramadan will receive baby car seats
- Cleansing of Doha: The Old Downtown Disappears
- Weekend Radar (July 4-6)
- ‘Whoa’ moment as Qatar’s overall population grows by 11.26%; 13.34% rise in that of females
- Weekend Radar (June 20 – 22)
- Souq Haraj awaits its inevitable fate in light of 2022
- Weekend Radar (June 6-8)
- Tickets for the June 13 Disney On Ice show up for grabs
- State mandates employers to medically insure employees under new law
- Runaways and Absconders; Slavery and Kafala: A dig into history
- Weekend Radar (May 30 – June 1)
- Atop the Everest: A mental feat more than a physical one
- Where do We Learn Arabic?
- All in a Day’s Work
- Weekend Radar (May 23-25)
- Not enough PHCs in Qatar to meet growing population
- Tipping point… who deserves gratuity?
- Blood donation in Qatar continues to be a challenge
- The coronavirus scare in GCC: What you need to know
- Ooredoo and Messi launch initiative for children’s health
- Been in Qatar long enough to remember these?
- Let’s Meet: Jeet Bahadur Mogar
- Onaiza Park: A splash of colours
- Ta2heel: By the youth for the youth… a uniquely Qatar initiative
- What you need to know about Emir Cup 2013
- Weekend Radar (May 16-18)
- QAWS receives a one month reprieve
- Hike or no hike in school fees?
- No lessons learned after Villaggio. The smoke continues well after the fire.
- Al Dhakhira gets first model commercial complex
- What every pedestrian in Qatar must know.
- Fatima Al-Nesf: Living her life in cartoons
- Inaccessible Qatar… where do we begin?
- Ready for some punchlines?
- A year more for neighbourhood stores
- UAE, Oman, Qatar and Saudi lead the race for regional tourism revenue growth
- Weekend Radar (May 9 – 11)
- Al Salihiya Juice Stall: Honk, and ye shall be served!
- How free is the free visa?
- Disney on Ice tickets now on sale
- In Qatar, traffic is a bigger killer than cancer
- 6˚ of Separation: The child in us
- Why QAWS’s success will be the community’s as well
- Payment woes for freelancers in Qatar
- DCMF event receives thumbs down
- Weekend Radar (May 02-04)
- DFI and Tribeca’s partnership comes to a close
- Second phase of Kulluna campaign promotes cardiac health
- Student filmmakers left in the lurch at Al Jazeera Docu Fest
- Traffic surveillance cameras to keep check on violators
- An Artistic Hypocrisy?
- More female nationals in the workforce than in other GCC states
- There’s smoke, there’s fire, and no one knows how
- Weekend Radar (April 25-27)
- QF attempts to change workers’ plight in Qatar
- Where to find a good book in Qatar
- The Greatest Gift
- It’s Earth Day today. Are you doing your bit?
- QMA launches free Mathaf Shuttle Bus service. Hop on.
- Where you from?
- Winners announced for the DCMF cartoon competition
- The mad gold rush
- The Park that’s more than just that
- Shisha Vs Cigarette: Which kills more?
- Qatar 2022 in the firing line again
- The Katara Dilemma: What do we do about misbehaviour?
- How to stay safe during an earthquake
- Weekend Radar (April 18-20)
- Qatar rocks, literally, as earthquake hits Iran-Pakistan border
- Qatar’s not a cheap place to live in
- Qatar should ensure a reliable legal framework for contractors: Merkel
- How much do your schooling expenses come to?
- Ezdan Mall partially opens in Doha
- More sports tournaments for migrant workers
- Qatar’s fuming: Cigs, shisha & the havoc that it wrecks
- Yet another case of intellectual property rights violation in Qatar
- 10 Quick Escapes for the Parent
- Qatarisation is imperative, but nationals shy away
- Enjoy the best deals in Qatar
- DFI to hold 48 hour documentary challenge
- Let’s Meet: Moidunny Karupp Theruvath
- Weekend Radar (April 11-13)
- 10 ways to make learning fun
- The divisiveness of your toxicity
- Parking, parking everywhere, who wants to use it?
- A Qatar Obsession: Adventurous & Deadly… Here’s to a safer ATV ride
- Qatar Biobank reaches 200th participant
- You won’t get lost finding this one!
- Sailing through luxury
- Count the paper you use
- Weekend Radar (April 4-6)
- Magical mystery tour of Qatar
- Jobs, and more jobs
- Rachel Gadsden: A vision beyond sight
- Don’t be shocked
- Indecent behaviour outside EC. Stay alert!
- Here’s a reader’s verdict on Qatari newspapers
- Weekend Radar (March 28-30)
- Why does journalism in Qatar look more like PR?
- Tuitions step in where schools fail
- Uniquely Qatar… See Queue, Will Jump
- 60 minutes of darkness
- Who’s up for the Workers Cup?
- Let our Children Be
- Qatar is the region’s second best travel and tourism hub, after UAE
- 10 Best Souvenirs From Qatar
- Are we saying goodbye to our local grocery stores?
- Exhibition Review: Hey’ya – Arab Women in Sport
- Hunger Games in Doha
- Privilege Vs Creativity
- Working from home… and home is a Doha café with free wi-fi
- School admissions in Qatar: Tough Lessons To Learn
- Exotic. Illegal. Blatant.
- What She Wears: The Dress Code Debate
- Aesthetics Trumps Conservation?
- Dubai Parks and Resorts to open region’s largest entertainment destination, including first-ever Bollywood theme park, this October